The following guidelines could prevent you or a loved one from becoming the next dog bite statistic:
- Avoid approaching unfamiliar dogs. If approached by an unfamiliar dog, remain motionless.
- Avoid petting a dog without giving it an opportunity to observe and sniff you.
- Avoid direct eye contact with a dog.
- Avoid running away from a dog.
- Avoid disturbing a dog that is eating, sleeping or attending to puppies.
- Avoid leaving children, especially young children, alone with a dog.
Additional resources regarding dog bite statistics and prevention can be found through the American Humane Association, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.